A Brief History of Sticker FC
The earliest that we know of Sticker having a team was 1911, but this is the earliest we have proof of existence. The kit colours were black and amber, a combination which was used right through the various years that football was played in the village, and indeed used in the earlier years of the present set up. The 1911 team continued until 1914 when the Great War intervened.
However with true Cornish spirit, as soon as Kaiser Bill was dispensed with, Sticker A.F.C was reformed for the start of the 1920-21 season in the St Austell and District league. It is interesting to note the season started on 3rd January and finished on 21st March. Perhaps it was because only six teams formed the league, namely, Grampound, Grampound Road, Probus, St.Stephen, Tregoney and St Austell United. The club disbanded in 1929 and reformed again in 1933.
A fixture list for the season 1933-34 boasted no fewer than 28 fixtures, with team such as Probus Town, Carthew Rovers, Treviscoe Reserves, Tregrehan and Probus College. We managed to beat Probus Town 7-2 away on 21st October and then suffered a 3-7 reverse at home on the 4th November. A seemingly up and down existence it would appear. The president for that year was F.D.V Thursby and the Honorary Secretary and Treasurer Mr W (Bill) Kendall.
Bill Kendall was the village postman and the post office was situated on it’s present site in the village square. Opposite the post office was a small hut where Mr Bill May carried on a shoe repair business. This hut was used as a changing room on match days and the players walked up to the pitch at the top of the hill. The seasons were then much longer starting on the 9th September and finishing on the 28th April. The demise of this phase of our history was again to be on the onset of war, and the club disbanded in 1939.
1948 saw the return of Sticker to the Cornish footballing world, and the pitch was now situated at Trelowth. The entrance to the ground was on the sharp left hand corner just before Trelowth village, and has now been built up. Access to this site is now gained by via a lane by Trelower Caravan Park. Mr R.S. Vian owned this ground and his brother George played for Sticker. The Truro and District League supplied fixtures and in 1949 Sticker were losing cup semi-finalists to Mullion in a game at Truro City’s ground.
At the end of the 1951-52 season the club again folded, this time because of the lack of officials to attend to the administration and fund raising that is the backbone of any organisation. Thankfully, however, the club was to rise again some fourteen years later and enjoy their most successful period in its chequered history.
1966 saw the beginning of the club that currently exists in the village. The first two years were spent on the sloping field next to the old police station.
1968 saw a change of venue for home games when we moved to Ennis farm. As it can be seen from our honours we have twice won the treble, once in junior football and once in the senior code. Indeed the 1969-70 saw four trophies come to the club. Also, the club as a senior side has won the East Cornwall Premier league twice. In 1981-82 when they won the treble of league, league cup and George Evely cup. The other triumph was in the 1985-86 season.
|Duchy League Champions Div 2||1969-70|
|Knockout Cup Winners||1969-70|
|Duchy League Cup Winners||1969-70|
|St. Austell and District league Winners||1969-70|
|Combination League Cup Winners||1972-73|
|East Cornwall Premier League||1981-82|
|East Cornwall Premier League||1985-86|
|League Cup Winners||1981-82|
|George Evely Cup Winners||1981-82|
|Fred Binks Supplementary Cup Winners||2004-05|
|Nanpean Six-A-Side Tournament||1990|
|Duchy League Cup Winners||2009/10|
|Duchy League Division 3 Champions||2010/11|
|ECPL Premier league Runners Up||2011/12|
|Rowett League Cup Winners||2011/12|
|George Evely Cup Winners||2011/12|
|Cornwall Charity Cup Winners||2012/3|